Mini Frittatas With Mushrooms and Leeks
Prep: 10 minutes
Heavy holiday meals are behind us, and this delicious dairy-free breakfast recipe for mini frittatas with mushrooms and leeks can help you get back to your healthy eating habits.
Haven't cooked with leeks before? Don't be afraid to try them! They are a member of the onion family, but have a milder flavor. You can also add them to soups or salads for a little variety. Just be sure to rinse them thoroughly because they're grown in sandy soil.
Leeks are a great source of antioxidants and are high in magnesium and vitamins A, C and K. Eggs and mushrooms pack a lot of protein, which can help keep your energy up to get you through your mornings.
These breakfast bites are great for portion control and keep well in the refrigerator if you like to prepare your meals for the week. Serve it with a side of fruit salad or whole wheat toast and enjoy!
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
2 leeks, washed and thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
1/3 cup egg whites
5 large eggs
1/4 cup reduced-fat coconut milk
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons chives
3 tablespoons parsley
- Rinse and slice the leeks and mushrooms, discarding the dark green leek tops.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and leeks and sauté until golden brown and softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Season with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk the whole eggs and egg whites in a large bowl to break up the yolks.
- Add the coconut milk, remaining salt and pepper and red pepper flakes and whisk to combine.
- Add the chives, parsley and cooled leeks and mushrooms to the egg mixture. Stir to combine.
- Spray a muffin tin thoroughly with cooking spray and divide the egg mixture evenly among the wells. You should have enough to fill 12 cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing mini frittatas from the muffin tin.
- Serve with any leftover herbs, a dash of hot sauce and a fruit salad or whole wheat toast.